WordPress for Beginners
WordPress for beginners is for you if you are looking to start a blog or a website. Your best choice to create a blog is WordPress. The program is free, and is consistently being updated with new plugins and new themes, many which are free.
Don’t worry if you are not tech savvy or you don’t know HTML. If you can type and use a mouse, you can create a professional looking site that you can monetize to earn an income. You won’t get rich overnight, it takes determination, working for free at first, a never say quit attitude, and be highly driven.
WordPress.com and WordPress.org are not the same. WordPress.com is where you can create a site with WordPress as your subdomain name, like wedddinggifts.wordpress.com and is hosted by WordPress.com and has very few options to create your site.
If you need hosting, I recommend Bluehost, which has a one click installation for WordPress and includes a free domain name. You will be up and running in less than 5 minutes, their customer service team is top notch.
- Pick a theme – the layout of your site
- Customize your theme to how you want it to look and feel
- Add plugins – adds more functionality to your blog
- Create an “About Me” page
- Start creating your first blog post
From the Dashboard – select Appearance – then Themes. Choose the theme that resonates with you, you can always change it later to a completely different theme, and you can customize your current theme.
If you are looking for certain features you want your theme to include, click on the Feature Filter and select the features you are looking for.
Without changing themes, you can see a live preview of what your blog would look like if you would change themes. To customize your theme, click Appearance – then Customize. Here you can change the theme, color, header image, background image, menus, widgets, and much more.
You can see what the changes will look like on your blog before you make the changes, and of course, they can always be changed back easily.
These are the essential plugins for your blog:
- Akismet Anti-Spam – for eliminating spam from your blog
- Limit Log In Attempts – to keep your blog safe from hackers
- WP Super Cache – to speed up your blog
- Yoast SEO – so your blog can be found on Google
- Ultimate Social Media Plus – so your posts can be share on social media
- Pretty Links – to shorten long ugly links to match your domain name
- Google Analytics – Shows where the traffic is coming from, which posts they are visiting, and how long they are staying on your site (Bounce Rate).
To create a post is similar to typing an email, you can:
- add images, videos, audio
- change the size, color, font, highlight, bold, underline your text to name a few
- add links
- add list both bullet and numbered
- change the alignment of your text and images
To add images, select the Add Media button to download images to your library on WordPress. Then change the size of the image, add a caption, add a description of the image, add Alt Text – this should contain the keywords for the image, select the alignment. When finished, click Insert Into Page. Once the image is on your post or page, you can still edit the attributes of the image.